Garrison Keillor is retiring and the Pioneer Press is celebrating his legacy with a list
of ten things you didn’t know about him and A Prairie Home Companion.
Not a bad list but, appropriate for the subject matter, it is rather bland. For the whole story, here are the Top 11 OTHER things you probably didn’t know about Garrison Keillor and A Prairie Home Companion.
11) the show ran from 1974 to 2016,though the last original joke was written in 1977
10) Keillor is the highest paid public employee in the state of Minnesota
9) That is Keillor's real singing voice -- not an overdub of a strangled chicken
8) during the filming of the Prairie Home Companion movie, Keillor, Woody Harrelson, and Lindsay Lohan together snorted over a pound of cocaine
7) “Dora the Explorer” originated as a sketch on PHC exploring illegal alien anchor babies in Lake Wobegon
6) “Bertha’s Kitty Boutique” named after Keillor’s favorite New Orleans whorehouse
5) International superstar Beyonce exclusively wears hair extensions made of Keillor’s eye brow clippings
4) Over time, Keillor phased out earlier references to “Guy Noir” being a registered sex offender
3) “Powdermilk Biscuits” and “Bebop a Reebop Rhubarb Pie” are well known strains of marijuana
2) In 1994 an Oslo court found Keillor guilty of hate speech for his vicious jokes about Norwegian Bachelor Farmers
1) Before entering show business, Keillor was a ground breaking researcher in the treatment of insomnia