Saturday, June 17, 2006

Goin' Down To Yasgur's (Spiritual) Farm

As someone born after Vatican II, I have never been to a Latin Mass. However, as a Roman Catholic, I can appreciate the American Bishops attempt to create a mass that more closely matches the Latin translation.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops voted 173-29 at its biannual meeting Thursday for a new translation after a debate over several small changes in wording. Bishops had long been divided over the English version, both because of the timing of the change and the phrasing of some passages, but in the end the translation got more than the 168 votes it needed to move forward. The vote on the Order of the Mass was aimed at satisfying Vatican calls for a translation that's closer to the Latin version.

Despite the landslide vote, some bishops think this is a big mistake (emphasis mine).

Before the meeting, the Rev. Thomas Reese, a senior fellow at the Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown University and a Jesuit priest, said the new Mass would "cause chaos and real problems and the people who are going to be at the brunt end of it are the poor priests in the parishes."

I knew that Georgetown was a liberal institution, but a Woodstock Theological Center? Perhaps Rev. Moonbeam might take a break from his hooka to consider that anything that makes the experience of mass more consistent between all Roman Catholics, regardless of their language would be . . . groovy.

Now, if the rest of the non-hippie freak bishops might consider intervening in my parish to prevent travesties like the song Awesome God, sung at our 5 pm evening mass today. It contains this line, in reference to our Almighty:

When He rolls up his sleeves He ain't just putting on the ritz.

I brought the program from mass home tonight so I have evidence to this inanity. Later, in a song where the words weren't listed I thought I caught a reference to "singing like the Black Eyed Peas."

Every day I pray for an end to the guitar mass.

1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I heard that Awesome God song when I accidently blundered into a "Teen Mass" at a parish once. I remember the "puttin on the ritz" line but all these years later, I thought maybe I was hallucinating. Not only is it abominable, the line makes no sense whatsoever.

As for the "getting closer to latin" I don't see what the fuss is about. If you go to Mass in the UK or Canada, they have wording closer to the Latin than we do. It's a little more formal but so what? I was waiting for the day when a Priest just sauntered down the aisle shaking hands and opened the Mass by saying, Hi, everybody!

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home