Friday, May 19, 2006

Preakness Pick

Barbaro will be an even money favorite to win the Preakness Stakes tomorrow and may very well come out with a victory in the second leg of the Triple Crown.

However, I won't be on the bandwagon of people betting on Barbaro to win. My money is on Brother Derek, a solid champion that finished a disappointing fourth in the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago.

Why? Because Barbaro was too good in the Derby. He ran the race of his life and won easily. Many horses have a great race and take a step backward. Many bettors only remember the last race. I'm betting Barbaro takes a step backward.

Brother Derek, meanwhile is a consistent horse who finished poorly in the derby. Consider this, though. He had a terrible post position, fought traffic, lost a shoe and still finished fourth. With a narrowed field, he should make this a two horse race.

Sweetnorthernsaint was my derby pick and has the tools to compete at this level. However, he tired down the stretch of the derby and I have soured on him.

Exacta and trifecta bettors should give some consideration to Like Now. This horse could surprise and at an expected payout of 12-1 could turn a tiny exacta or trifecta bet into a whole lot of cash. I would remind you that my longshot special for the derby, Steppenwolfer finished third.

Bet with your head, not over it!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you reading the racing form or reading the racing blogs - thanks for bloviating what all the pros are saying - are you a handicapper or just handicapped - a tip restated is not a tip

2:49 AM  
Blogger Nihilist in Golf Pants said...

Not a tip, just my opinion. I didn't realize that all the pros liked Brother Derek, I thought a bunch liked Barbaro. Anyway in a field of nine, the pros will always split among two or three horses.

I'm also quite sure that all the pros did not pick Like Now for their exotics!

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home