Thursday, August 17, 2006

There He Goes Again!

PJ O'Rourke once invented a game where players opened a book by Jimmy Carter and had one minute to find the dumbest quote on the page. I took a turn playing it today with German magazine Der Spiegel in their interview with the former President.

11. I had four years in the White House -- it was not a failure.

10. You can be certain in advance if you don't negotiate that your problem is going to continue and maybe even get worse.


9. I think there is a substantial portion of American people that completely agree with me.

8. I think that at this moment the United States and Israel probably stand more alone than our country has in generations.

7. And, of course, fundamentalists don't believe they can make mistakes, so when we permit the torture of prisoners in Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib, it's just impossible for a fundamentalist to admit that a mistake was made.

6. I don't think that Israel has any legal or moral justification for their massive bombing of the entire nation of Lebanon. What happened is that Israel is holding almost 10,000 prisoners, so when the militants in Lebanon or in Gaza take one or two soldiers, Israel looks upon this as a justification for an attack on the civilian population of Lebanon and Gaza.

5. I'd say, the major news media in our country were complicit in this subservience to the Bush administration out of fear that they would be accused of being disloyal.

4. And my own belief is that Fidel Castro will recover. He is two years younger than I am, so he's not beyond hope.

3. As you possibly know, historically, our country has had the capability of self-correcting our own mistakes. This applied to slavery in 1865.

2. I think most people believe that enough time has passed so that historical facts can be ignored. Note: Ironically, he's not in the middle of suggesting that his opinion on foreign policy should be taken seriously.

1. Hezbollah said they would comply, I hope Israel will comply.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used respect the guy for building all the houses. Now, he has lost even that with me.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's obvious that sanity has taken a vacation. Perhaps it'll soon return with a nice tan and fully rested. One can only hope...

10:52 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

I just spent my lunch listening to the radio, flipping back and forth between Rush Limbaugh and Dennis Prager, who were both going after Jimah like ill-tempered swamp rabbits. Rush's critique was funnier, Prager's more devastating.

By the way, two good things that Jimmy Carter did while in office?

#1 Legalized home brewing

#2 Made Dennis Prager a Republican

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man i have no words...
his proterrorism couldnt be more explicit

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home