Tuesday, October 17, 2006

An Imaginary Debate: Carmen Electra and Albert Einstein on Quantum Mechanics

Katie from Yucky Salad With Bones points us to this quote from Carmen Electra in US Weekly (I really must start subscribing):

“I'm really into quantum physics. Some of my friends are into it, some of them aren't, so I'm trying to get them excited about discovering all these interesting things about thoughts and the power of thoughts. It gives me chills thinking about it. It's fun.”

Carmen’s evangelical enthusiasm for quantum mechanics leads one to wonder how a debate between her an Albert Einstein (who was skeptical of quantum mechanics) might have gone.

SISYPHUS:
Welcome to the Electra/Einstein debate on quantum mechanics. Ms. Electra, Dr. Einstein, your opening statement please.

ELECTRA:
I get chills thinking about quantum physics! It’s fun!

EINSTEIN:
I do agree that quantum mechanics is an internally consistent theory that has made successful predictions and I admit that the Feynman-Wheeler path integral formulation does appeal from a principle of least action perspective. However, let's consider the paradox I suggested with Podolsky and Rosen ...

ELECTRA:
I get excited about all these interesting things about thoughts and the power of thoughts.

EINSTEIN:
I think you misunderstand. Quantum mechanics states that by observing an event, you collapse the wave function for that event. That is, you find out which of the possible states of a system that the system is actually in. You don’t actually have any control over which state the system actually ends up in – the probability for ending in each state is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for that system.

ELECTRA:
Some of my friends are into it, some of them aren't, so I'm trying to get them excited about discovering all these interesting things about thoughts and the power of thoughts.

EINSTEIN:
No, quantum mechanics doesn’t work that way! It DOES NOT say that you can control events just by the POWER OF YOUR THOUGHTS …

[Carmen Electra removes all of her clothes]

EINSTEIN:
Oh, my God, I CAN control events just with the power of my thoughts!

SISYPHUS:
No, she takes her clothes off during every debate.

EINSTEIN:
This debate is over!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmen Electra: "Oh wait...I meant, um, String Theory? No, Quantum Leap! That's right, it's Quantum Leap. On Nick at Night. I love Scott Baio.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home