Friday, August 25, 2006

Happy Campers

I had the distinct pleasure this week of venturing to the left coast. I made my first visit to Santa Monica and learned a lot about the culture in that wealthy part of the Los Angeles. The area must be the most safety obsessed on earth. As I entered my hotel overlooking the pier, I spotted a sign warning me that the hotel had some areas where smoking is legal and going on to point out the dangers of exposure to the smoke. I guess they can't just outlaw smoking like we do in Minnesota. As I entered the hotel bar, I was greeted by a sign explaining some of the dangers of consuming alcohol. Not to be outdone, the hotel restaurant had a sign explaining the dangers of eating!

Shamed by my lack of health consciousness, I vowed to improve myself. So I awoke at 6 am and decided to take a walk/jog on the beach. I was not alone. Sure, there were other walkers and runners, but we were outnumbered by dozens, probably over a hundred individuals sleeping on the beach. It took me a minute to realize (due to the fact that there were no police hassling them) that Santa Monica was filled with camping enthusiasts. Lucky Californians! The campers were so confident of good weather that not one of them had bothered to set up a tent.

I am a keen observer of people and I dare say that the classic rock band Jethro Tull must have a strong following in Santa Monica. I noticed this since a high percentage of the camping enthusiasts were dressed in homage to the fellow on the cover of their 1970's album "Aqualung."

What a great place Santa Monica must be. A place where Jethro Tull loving camping enthusiasts can play next to the trendy, rich glitterati. Where one can sleep for free only a block from a $500 a night hotel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicko McDave said...

Hmmm. I'm not sure about Santa Monica, but I stayed in Long Beach last month, and if I had seen a bunch of Aqualung looking types on the strand, I would have figured that it was just the entire English speaking population of the city hanging out together.

Seriously -- I couldn't walk to a local shop without feeling at a disadvantage because I don't speak Spanish.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll look after your health, all right (because, you know, you're not quite able to), but we'll also regulate the bejeebus out of you if you want to do business here.

We used to have to fly the planes out of state to paint 'em with a paint that would stick to 'em. Waterbased on an MD-90 or MD-11 just wouldn't stick.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home