Thursday, July 21, 2005

My Contest Entry

AM 1500 KSTP and the Minnesota Twins are sponsoring a "My First Ballgame" contest. The radio promo is a little more descriptive than the web site. If you haven't heard the ad, it basically says, "Tell us about your first ballgame and you can win tickets to take someone to theirs." Attached is my entry:

My first ballgame was when I was seven years old and my dad took me to see the Twins versus the Kansas City Royals on May 4, 1975. It marked the return of Harmon Killebrew to Minnesota after the Twins unceremoniously dumped him toward the end of his career. I was just a kid at the time and didn't understand what was happening. In the first inning, Killebrew hit a 2 run home run to put the Royals up 3-0. The entire crowd stood and gave Killebrew an ovation. I was puzzled. I asked my dad why the crowd was cheering the other team. He said something about being a good sport and showing appreciation for a great play. The Twins came back and won 6-3.

About a month later, I was at my second game with my Cub Scout troop. The Twins were playing Boston. Late in the game, Jim Rice broke a 7-7 tie with a three-run shot, that ultimately sent the Twins to their defeat. Remembering how the crowd reacted to Killebrew's homer, I stood and cheered. That didn't go over well with the drunks in the crowd and they pelted me with beer and hot dog wrappers. Some of the older Cub Scouts were angry too and they gave me a wedgie. I had to be removed from the game for my own safety.

Now my daughter is old enough to go to her first game. I want to make sure she learns the proper way to behave at a ballgame. I hope you can give me tickets to see the Twins play the White Sox. If A.J. Pierzynski returns to the Dome to hit a home run, I assure you I will not teach her to cheer him on. She will learn to curse and litter the field with garbage. And if another little kid does cheer him on, she might just learn to deliver a proper wedgie.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the proper wedgie be sure to show her the proper notation for marking "passed ball" on her scorecard. Thus is tradition handed-down from one generation to the next.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home