Monday, May 14, 2007

Running Into The Rammer

Today while in the first class line to pass through the security checkpoint at MSP airport, I noticed a familiar face in front of me. Could it be my US Congressional Representative, the Republican-lite Jim Ramstad? It sure looked like him. But he wasn't acting in the manner I would expect from a Congressman. He was patiently waiting in a long line instead of demanding special treatment and threatening the Federal TSA employees with an aggrivated, "Do you know who I am?" I know I would have done that were I in his position. Given his lack of animation, I doubted his identity for a minute until I was assured that it was indeed him by the monogram on his worn leather briefcase.

We at NIGP may have in the past said a thing or two to disparage the Rammer. However, the fact that he stood in line with the common people tells me he isn't too self-important. So, as his constituent, I was faced with a challenge. Should I gripe to him about every single vote he's made that I disagree with, or should I just give him a gracious hello. Inspired by his lack of pretention, I settled for the gracious hello, although I did tell him to keep the faith. I hope he understands that means to vote straight along the party line from now on.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First class?

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I settled for the gracious hello, although I did tell him to keep the faith. I hope he understands that means to vote straight along the party line from now on."

You're not seriously suggesting that voting strictly along party lines is a desirable attribute in a politician? Perhaps if the GOP still represented fiscal conservatism instead of blowing our surplus pandering to war hawks and religious interests, I could see it.

I usually label myself a liberal (I'm friends with too many women and gay folks not to), but I'd be damned if I'd vote for any of these nanny-state Democrats who push smoking bans, over-reaching gun control measures, and censorship of rap lyrics or video games. I vote for candidates and their values, not parties.

I'm not sure if "The Rammer" has a voting record that reflects true conservative values or not. But I am a bit shocked that your ideal political candidate is merely a mouthpiece for party agenda. Having only two parties in play is harmful enough to the democratic process without boiling down our representatives in this way.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sad tale is almost as bad as your sycophantic suck-up to John Hinderaker at Keegan's, which is well documented at KAR. Shame!

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home