Saturday, May 07, 2005

Kentucky Derby Prediction

After careful study of the Daily Racing Form, I am picking Afleet Alex to win the run for the roses. My favorite professional handicapper, known only as Earl backs up this projection.

If you're looking for the second half of an exacta, consider Sort It Out, High Fly and Greeley's Galaxy.

We'll know if I'm right a little after 5 pm tonight. Enjoy the greatest two minutes in sports! (Is that one of Saint Paul's come-on lines?)

SISYPHUS ADDS:
I don’t have a Kentucky Derby prediction, but I will be rooting for Bellamy Road. I have two reasons:
1. Bellamy Road is the favorite so I’ll be less likely to be disappointed.
2. Bellamy Road is owned by George Steinbrenner, so all of the Yankee haters will be upset if he wins. I hate the Yankees too, but seeing my fellow Yankee haters miserable is worth it to me.
My rooting interest may change if I find that Atomizer has invested in this horse – I’m always rooting for another sports related meltdown from Atomizer.

But if I were a betting man, I would probably have to go with Giacomo a great speed horse going off at 50-1. Yep, I would have to disagree with the Nihilist and recommend Giacomo.

DERBY UPDATE (from NIGP):
In an upset for the ages, jockey Mike Smith brings 50-1 longshot Giacomo past a tight field to capture the run for the roses. If anyone tells you they predicted this, they are lying. My pick, Afleet Alex was in prime position to win down the stretch but just couldn't find a higher gear at the end and finished third. Favorite Bellamy Road ran out of steam at the top of the stretch and finished seventh.Congratulations to Mike, trainer John Shirreffs and owners Mr. & Mrs. J.S. Moss (no relation to Randy).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home