Wednesday, January 26, 2005

My Interview With Mark Yost

The Fraters chronicled their interview with St. Paul Pioneer Press Columnist Mark Yost on the air of their radio show. Since I don’t have my own radio show, I thought I’d publish a transcript of the interview here. Disclosure statement: Mark Yost featured the Nihilist in Golf Pants on an article about local bloggers in the Tuesday edition of the St. Paul paper.

Yost: I’m doing a story on the Fraters and understand that you are an avid reader of theirs. Do you mind if I ask a few questions?

NIGP: I’d be happy to talk about blogging. I initially started blogging to keep in touch with friends.

Yost: I’m not asking you about blogging. I’m asking about the reasons you read the Fraters. So, how long have you been reading the Fraters?

NIGP: I’ve been blogging for about two years. I started as a favor to the Fraters, adding my contributions to their site to help them build readership.

Yost: They never mentioned that.

NIGP: They are intensely private individuals. They probably wouldn’t be comfortable in the spotlight. I’d hate to see you without enough material for an article. However, I could talk about my blog. I comment mostly on pop culture. Why just recently I did an oh, so witty piece on Trapper John and Klinger of M*A*S*H giving stock market advice.

Yost: I'm not really . . .

NIGP: You are aware of my blog, Nihilist in Golf Pants.

Yost: Not really.

NIGP: It’s named for a Garrison Keillor hit piece on Republicans. That’s where I came up with my pen name. Many bloggers use funny pen names, like King Banaian. Why don’t you call it up and you can see what the Fraters learned from me.

Yost: OK, give me a minute. (A few minutes pass.) Hey, this thing on you making chili is pretty funny.

NIGP: That’s not me, that’s my partner Sisyphus.

Yost: Wow, that guy sure is clever. Can I get his phone number? I must talk with him for this article.

NIGP: Funny, he’s another intensely private individual. He’d sooner die than get any publicity.

Yost: Interesting. Can you give me some details about him?

NIGP: He’s an underprivileged kid. I took him in, taught him the ropes. Even now I practically have to feed him all his clever ideas.

Yost: I’d really need a confirming source for that.

NIGP: Anyway, let me start from the beginning. Even as a small child, I had a keen sense that I was special. . .

Yost: I hate to interrupt, but look at the time. There’s a Brady Bunch rerun on that I absolutely have to catch. This interview is over.

NIGP: One more thing! Please be sure to get my site address right. That’s http://www.nihlist.blogspot.com/.

2 Comments:

Blogger King said...

Hey, that vowel-dropping thing must be contagious: You dropped one of mine!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Nihilist in Golf Pants said...

Sorry about that King, the problem has been corrected.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home