Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Want My Baby Back Baby Back Baby Back Baby Back

I'll show you love like you've never seen --Winger

In troubled times such as these, we sometimes need to seek out inspiring people to maintain our faith in humanity. Reading about that adventurer who conquered inestimable odds, or the poor child who bootstrapped his way to riches can lift our spirits even in the most dismal times. Today, I found one such story. It is a story about love, borne of - and surviving through - tragedy. It just could be one of the sweetest romantic tales I have ever experienced.

Our story begins with a missing 5-year old child:

The 5-year-old Satsuma girl [Haleigh Cummings] was last seen on the night of Feb. 9 when Misty Croslin, her father's now-fiancée, put the child to bed.

A month later, there has still been no sign of Haleigh even though investigators said they have checked out hundreds of leads and tips
.

As a father, I can testify that there can be no greater heartbreak than having a child go missing. And it's been over a month since the little girl disappeared. The father's grief must be crippling.

But wait: a shining light of hope appears for the couple in these dark, dark times:

On Monday, WJXT-TV talked with Croslin about her and Ronald Cummings' plans to marry. The 17-year-old hasn't smiled much since Haleigh's been gone, but she was beaming as she went into the courthouse to get a marriage license with Haleigh's dad.

Love will indeed conquer all! Even if your child was probably kidnapped, raped and murdered, and the Bride-to-be is just one year removed from qualifying you for a statutory rape charge!

This next part is, quite possibly, the most romantic thing I have ever read:

Croslin smiled as she showed her engagement ring and talked about Cummings' surprise proposal.

"Last night at Chili's he got he down his knees and said, 'Will you marry me?'" Croslin said
.

Oh, what a scene that must have been. Him, down on bended knee, proposing. Her, trying desperately to enunciate the word "yes" through a mouthful of partially chewed boneless buffalo wings!

Excuse me a moment. I am overcome with joy and emotion. I think I have something in my eye. Talk amongst yourselves while I compose myself.

...

...

You had me at the Triple Dipper. You. Had. Me. At. Triple. Dipper.

Bonus for the happy couple: They won't need to get a babysitter for their wedding. The bride can presumably attend with a chaperone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of surprised a classy fellow like her fiance didn't have them put the ring in the bowl of house made salsa that comes with the bottomless tostada chips. She dips her chip and declares, "that sure is small for a chopped hallopina, why that ain't no hallopina, oh darlin' I luv you!".

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're saying not to propose at Chilli's then?

Huh, I'm going to have to get back to the drawing board.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home