Friday, March 11, 2005

Keegan's Recap

Last night at Keegan's was a hoot. The bar was packed with trivia contenders and a good time was had by all. Although I am not as naturally gregarious as Brian "St. Paul" Ward, I did get the chance to talk to a lot of you. Fraters provides an excellent recap here, including a photo of yours truly about to administer the "Crusher Claw"on Mark Yost while singing a merry tune.

I owe a debt of thanks to Terry and Virginia Keegan, who generously let us take over trivia for the night and to the wait-staff, who promptly refilled my drinks. Also thanks to my Fraters teammates, whose smarts put us in position to be asked to host. Finally, a huge thank you to Scotty "Bones" Miller, who generously allowed me to commandeer the mike for the early part of his first set and provided keyboard on "Burnin' Love" and "Jailhouse Rock". It takes a great musician to make a rank amateur look good.

As much as I enjoy doing my Elvis bit, the best part of the night for me was the chance to have civil and even jovial discussions with the left leaners in the crowd. No, I'm not talking about Nick Coleman's spy. I am referring to real people including Power Liberal and a bar regular and former trivia champion known as BD (not to be confused with Doonesbury's BD, this guy wore no helmet). BD proposed a terrific idea: a special May Day version of trivia, featuring questions about Stalin, Che, and Wellstone!

I'd also be remiss if I didn't offer a salute to the victors, the Pointy-Headed Reaganites. From Caligula to Ronnie James Dio to Hervé Villechaize , none of my queries nor those of my teammates stymied these guys. It's only fair to mention that none of us had ever met anyone on their team before last night. Our Own Sisyphus took second place with 23 right, on a team with Craig Westover, Policy Guy and Mitch Berg. One thing is for sure, there were a lot of people at Keegan's last night who know stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home